top of page
  • Black Facebook Icon
  • Black Instagram Icon
  • Black Yelp Icon

The History of Bridgeport Community Chapel:

     The idea for a Sunday School at Bridgeport was born one afternoon in 1939 as Sol and Martha Warkentin and Martha's uncle, Henry Hamm, were riding through the Bridgeport area. They saw the Farmer's Union Hall and thought it would be a good place to meet. They began contacting people and before long a group was meeting every Sunday.

     In 1944 Mr. and Mrs. Dave Schultz took over the leadership of the group at which time it became affiliated with the American Sunday School Union. The ASU area missionaries at that time were Mr. and Mrs. Peter Becker.

    Mr. and Mrs. Henry Dyck came from Dallas to lead the group from 1945 to 1950, and then Sol and Martha Warkentin returned until the Lord called them elsewhere in 1959. Meetings were held in the Bridgeport Elementary School when the community hall was torn down.

     Otto and Apphia Barnell assumed leadership of the Bridgeport group in 1959. It was during the Barnell's time with us, that we began discussing and praying over the possibility of our own building. In August, 1967 Apphia was called home to the Lord, and in her memory a building fund was established.

     Mrs. Esther Wiens donated five acres of land for the building. The ground breaking ceremonies took place on May 5, 1968 with Rev. and Mrs. Merle Wilson, ASU Missionaries, presiding. Much of the building was done by our own members and by a retired builder, Mr. Walt Collingham. Dr. I.D. Bartell loaned the money to buy materials. On January 7, 1968 the name Bridgeport Community Chapel was adopted. Continuing to meet in the elementary school, our attendance fluctuated from ten to thirty people, but with the Lord's guidance and Dr. Bartell's generosity, the building continued to go up. When Mr. Barnell left, Jacob Warkentin, as Assistant Superintendent, took over the leadership of the group.

     We met for the first time in the chapel on Easter Sunday morning, April 11, 1971. Shortly afterward the Lord led Mark and Doris Davis to take over the leadership. With Davis' loving guidance and encouragement from the Wilsons we began to think and pray about having regular church services besides just Sunday School classes.

     Our prayers were answered when in the summer of 1974 the Lord brought Rev. Richard Voth and his family to us. The Lord has greatly enriched and blessed us through Richard's ministry. Our attendance has grown to an average of 45 to 50 each Sunday. We have added young peoples meetings, Bible studies, and Sunday Evening Services. The Sunday School is now led by Supt. Jim Barnard.                           

                          Original chapel history by Mary Wiens and her mother for the chapel dedication on June 13, 1976:

​​

​

​

​

​

​

​

​

​

​

​

Additional chapel history:

In 1974, our first Pastor, Richard Voth, was called.
The second Pastor was Bill Schmidt.
Our third Pastor, Ron Sutter, was called in 1982.
Our fourth and present Pastor, Jonathan King was called in 2022.

Several remodel projects and additions to Chapel facilities have taken place:

The new auditorium was completed in 1994 and the remodel of the original building was completed in 2000.

​

bottom of page